Monday, July 27, 2009

First week in San Diego!

**Just a little side note, Ryan was VERY disappointed when he opened and call and found out he was speaking english. That boy has mexican blood, so he was hoping to speak some espanol! It just goes to show how the Lord works in all of our lives. It may not be on our timing or how we think it will go, but everything works out!!
Keep Ryan in your prayers as he is in a not-so-ideal area. But, he will be great! We love him lots!
-Whitney


-------------------------------------------------------------------

Hola La Famila,
Hablo es mucho gusto! My Spanish is raunchy but Do you see where I'm going
with this???
Wed. morning before our transfers we had personal interviews with Pres.
Donaldson and one of the first things he asked me was "so what did you think
when you open your call up?" I said, "Well was kind of disappointed to an
extent, I said I kind of wanted to serve spanish speaking. I told him about
our mexican lineage and Uncle Buck, Uncle Russ, and Uncle Mike all serving
Spanish-speaking so I was a little bit bummed when it said english-speaking
and that I was kind of anticipating a Spanish-speaking mission but I told
President that the more it sunk in; English-speaking, San Diego, 3 weeks at
the MTC, I told him it kept sounding better and better each day. He said
"Well, I guess those intuitions weren't just a coincidence. He said that he
did alot of praying and he needed another Spanish-speaking elder and guess
who it was??? (If you don't get this right I would shame myself) IT"S ME!!!
I got switched to Spanish!!! I thought about not telling you and then
bearing my testimony or talking to you in spanish on Christmas but freak I
can't keep a secret! Especially one this big! So as of Wed.... Hablo
Espanol.... Crazy huh!? There is a negative to this, actually there's a few.
For one when we go teaching I just sit there like a retard staring into
space while my companion talks to the people. And two I'm in El Cajon/Santee
area. It's not a very good area where I'm at. Alot of mexicans, arabs, and
blacks as well as alot of poor people, drug, people, and drunk people. So
it's a real rough part of town and that's pretty much how it's going to be,
so I've already had a few interesting experiences; been yelled at, flipped
off, a lady said that she would make my night haha... a bunch of CrAzY
people out here but it's fun. I've been into places that smell like a
dumpster and that look like a dumpster too. When people get done with a bowl
of something they don't wash it oh no that would be too much work, so they
just leave it there and go get a new bowl. I wouldn't let a cow live in some
of these places, but I wouldn't have it any other way. My companions name is
Elder Law kind of funny Elder Law and Elder Lawter, it was ment to be. He's
a really cool guy; he's from Idaho, loves sports, same personality as me,
just real chill and lax so we get along really well. Just the experinces
already are awesome to. I might be able to understand people when we teach
but I can feel the Spirit and that's the best part and I can see it working
on the people. I have actually taught a few times we get a young person that
speaks both spanish and english so I'll get to teach sometimes but for the
most part I'm just sittin there smilin away! It's like 95 degrees here too!
That weather channel thing is full of crap! It's soooo hot! I guess I'm
closer to the desert but still! Where I'm at too isn't pretty at all. It's
dry and baron, worse than Utah even! I'm sure there's pretty parts like
everyone said but I haven't seen em yet! Actually I take that back, when we
flew in on Wed, the airport is right downtown and right by the ocean so that
was pretty cool but that's the only part I saw. Ok now for a few
experiences. First off today's my P-day so you'll get an e-mail every mon.
btw. Anyways, Elder Law and I have a few investigators that have committed
to baptism we just have to get them to the baptism. Satan works overtime on
those people and its crazy to see. For example we have an investigator named
Gabby (she speaks english so I get to teach her, Yea!) and she wants to go
to church wants to be baptized but everytime she makes an effort to go to
church something ends up happening. Last fri. her brother got pulled over
just for a routine check, and he doesn't have his citizenship or a license
but worst of all he had some creatine in a bag because he was going to go
workout but the cops saw it, thought he was trying to impersonate the
creatine for crack or something like that and so he got arrested and Gabby
had to stay home Sunday to wait for her brother to call and the lawyer! Uh!
Stupid Satan! So it's difficult to see these people just want to do go but
bad things end up tying them down. Another investigator we have is awesome!
His name is Edson and he's so stoked about the gospel! He speaks English too
so there's another one I teach! (But that's about it as English goes) So he
was going to go to church but he had to work and his boss said if he didn't
come that he'd get fired. Just random crap like that happens! It's
frustrating! So we've been pretty diligent with our investigators that are
on the brink of baptism and we're constantly running all of the Santee area!
I'm sooo exhausted when we get home! We have a car so that's good but we
also have the largest area to cover in the mission because we're
spanish-speaking and we've got alot of responsibility on our hands! But it's
good. Busy is good. One more experience then I've gotta run; we've got
shopping then B-Ball later on!!! So my first night here, Wed. night I went
on splits with a member that spoke english and he's 19 so he was way cool, I
told him all about you guys and Whitney and he was so theraputic (I don't
know if that's how you spell it but you know what I'm talking about). But we
were walking on main street contacting in El Cajon and we were walking by a
bar and there was this man sitting outside that just wouldn't take his eyes
off us. Then he said you boys missionaries? We were like uh yea!!! Then he
invited us to sit down and talk to him and I have never smelled so much
alcohol on someone, I'm suprised he wasn't already passed out. So we sat
down, asked him how it was going and he said not good. So the more we talked
the more he wanted to preach to us instead of the other way around. So we
let him mumble and slur all over the place then we started telling him how
the gopsel would help his life. He was in bad shape; his clothes looked
dingy, he smelt, he was drunk, looked like he hadn't taken a shower in a
year, but he did have a wedding ring on so it made us wonder. He wouldn't
really accept anything that we were saying but he did say that we helped him
more than we knew. He said that we were like his sons and that he loved us,
I don't know if that was because he was drunk or what but he said that he
was sooo angry and that he could strangle someone but we calmed him down,
seems like I do that alot, I don't know what it is about me. But after he
was done saying every name in the book and we were done giving him our
number to call us when he sobered up he told us that we were truley sent
from God to help him. His name was Michael and he was my first experience
talking to a real person in San Diego about the gospel. It was so neat! We
talked for like an hour and a half. An experience I will truely never
forget!
So welp I better get runnin but I love you all, who ever is reading this and
I'll be back on next monday to write some more! Hope you have a good week!

Mucho Mucho LOVE,
Elder Lawter

No comments:

Post a Comment